Wednesday, December 26, 2012

"You call this a gin gimlet? Hack!"

By Scary Halloween

It's how we begin. How we are treated. Catered to that we become accustomed to a certain way of life. How we develop expectation.

I didn't start out life with the perfect gin gimlet but once I had one I want one every time after that, no matter what crappy strip mall chain shit hole bar that I have the misfortune of imbibing .

It's a fatal life error to have expectations. Unless you want to constantly be disappointed. Skilled mental navigation through what you get and what you want is required to avoid being grounded in daily disappointment. 

I see an expectation much different than a standard or a preference. 

An expectation is external, a idea of how others should behave rather than an internal, how I perceive.

I'm sounding preachy as if I've got my shit together. If you know me then you are laughing. 

But it is possible for me to know a thing, verbalize it and still be struggling to achieve it. 

I'm grateful I know not to have expectations. I know people that do. They can spend their lifetime fighting windmills only to continually have the same result, disappointment. 

Not me. I just need to improve on my indifference, my lack of expectation. I guess I think I know better not to bother.

No comments: