Friday, October 9, 2009

WARNING BEWARE: Normal is a relative term.

By Scary Halloween

I spoke to a friend tonight.
She reminded me of a kind act
I had shown her years ago.

I had totally forgotten.
In my new awakening, my reintroduction
to people of my past
I am hearing several stories
similar to hers.

Conversely, tonight I heard
an honest assessment of a
" first impression"
that I displayed.
I had to laugh in total agreement.
I do not blame this person
for their judgement. They are not alone.

Twice in this week I have been told
what I know all too well about myself,

I like to stir the pot.


"if I don't, the beans will burn."

And I don't mince words, however
I agree that it is less shocking when words are
delivered from the heart with kindness,
love and understanding.

There is a musical artist that speaks of
understanding.

( I deliberately don't mention the artist
for he is subject to judgement and his words
you might not hear) This is a diversion form the theme of this Blog.
Honesty and challenged perception.
But the point I want to make
is important enough for me
to make this exception to my rule.

By the way not a big fan of rules.

Basically, he says I'm not you
and you are not me. That is a good thing.
But, when you or I get off
on getting on another person, well
that is judgement.

I don't believe in sin
but judgement is a human character flaw
that we all have. It stems from the basis of fear.
A form of prejudice.
Judgement is a way to rationalize our on behavior,
our on way of living/existence.

However, through our level of ability
to
understand ourselves, to know ourself
that
we can have compassion,
understanding and
rethink our gut reaction
and evaluate our feelings/opinnions about others.

Those who do not know themselves, or
have lived only one way of life
lack frame of reference for compassion
and understanding of those who are "different".

I'm not speaking of pitty because pity is judgement.

For the grace of god there go I.

In my path of spirituality,
I know who I am. I except the things
that make me whole. In this journey
I am working hard to erase judgement.
An impossible task? Maybe, but
I will certainly never obtain it if I
do not attempt it.

I have an advantage over others and
that is I have lived in varied social, economic
and political groups. I have blended in
very well despite my outer appearance.
I have found acceptance in those groups.
But only by mimicking them, not by being who I am.

So who was really more accepting in that circumstance?

My point is simply this. What I am
is not what I will always be.

I am not one thing. I am a dichotomy.
So to know me is your interpretation.
I am grateful for you and what you can
teach me about you and myself.

We all have greatness, and gifts to share.

And I give the benefit of doubt to all
because I am a person who challenges
myself to grow and change, to being open,
willing and honest.

Hey! I have had
some stumbles, and major falls
and my share of road blocks to self actualization.
But I haven't given in and whether I get there
or not, it is the journey, the point on the horizon
I focus on that brings new growth new understanding

a new Scary Halloween each day.



No comments: